Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Writers

I'm cleaning things up on my interwebs and want to "re-post" here a short reflection I wrote a few years ago.

Writers are:

  • passionate, because they are fully engaged in a subject;
  • considerate and friendly, because they care about others;
  • playful, because they are connected to their "inner child";
  • balanced, because they value diversity and differing perspectives;
  • thoughtful, because they are careful thinkers and dedicated communicators;
  • socially adept, because they engage, listen, and communicate skillfully;
  • warm and caring, because they value people most of all;
  • normal, because everyone is a writer, so they are no different;
  • ordinary people, because they have the same needs and dreams;
  • special, because they have found the calling to be artists of words.

I admit that all of these qualities may not be universally true and evident for everyone who writes. Everyone is a unique individual and makes different choices about how they express themselves and experience life. But I can't help but perceive that the act of writing itself must necessarily draw a person more deeply in touch with themselves, as well as with humanity.

The above statements may be the naïve notion of a young writer starting out, but I feel it is true for myself, if for no one else. And this is my motivation for writing.

No comments: