Saturday, June 27, 2009

Alone (written Dec. 5, 2005)

Alone


I am the man who
smiles
while his tears fall,

articulations
my foot taps, dancing
to the music
the beat of my spine

I keep you at a distance
so I can know you, face
to face

Alone, I am with you,
(I love you)
time burns and I am the ashes.


(12/5/2005)

One of my many restless nights in late 2005, I wrote this. Perhaps I'd had a fight with my partner. Perhaps I was just feeling keyed up and was thinking about my life and relationship with him. I know I was working through complex, seemingly contradictory and irreconcilable feelings (antinomy), undeniable life processes, fear of being hurt and causing hurt. I can still feel the experience very closely.

Somewhat ungrammatical and a bit asymmetrical, I probably scratched this out in the dark on the notebook I used to keep beside my bed for my journal. I see the central theme as very hopeful and life-affirming, even through the fear and pain. The last image is like a phoenix, recognizing that we are always constantly being reborn in each instant, a new (existential) self faced by totally new and novel choices: but only if we recognize that power within, the fire that burns. This is inexorable, a fire that doesn't go out but continues. It is passion and creativity, eros/searching out, constant living on the edge, living in the shadow of death. The present self is always already passing away.

I probably was feeling lonely, too, or afraid of being abandoned. My answer: I don't give up. I must not abandon myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the last line....time burns and i am the ashes....

Christian Kaltwasser said...

Thanks! Cf. Delmore Schwartz' poem, "Calmly We Walk Through This April's Day."

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poem.html?id=171344

I was not conscious of the similar image at the time, but now I suspect I got the idea for that image from the line from his poem.