Thursday, June 4, 2009

Two Minus One


Two Minus One

I lived by myself in a big house with
many rooms. I'd choose each night which
big bed to sleep in, and I spent
much time in my kitchen.

Friends and neighbors came to visit, and
we had Christmas in my front room with
a big green tree, all the gifts, and
stockings by the fire.

I stirred in my slumbers, then,
and as I woke the dream veil parted:
I saw how this could soon be my life,
is my life now, and felt a comfort.

In my house I have many rooms. Some
I choose to spend my time in, while
others I leave aside with the door open,
as I may need them later.

In my dream it was only me in this
big house. In my dream I could wander
as I may, exploring, finding the space
I needed in order to be myself.

And as each night I found a new bed,
pulled up fresh covers and opened up
the window to the night air,
I was not lonely in my house.


(6/4/2009)

No comments: