Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Snowboarding!

(Yes, it is the height of summer, but...)

One of the most fun things I've ever done is snowboarding! I started learning to ride back in February 2006 and have ridden quite a few times during the past few seasons here in Oregon.


My favorite place to ride is Willamette Pass on highway 58, because it is pretty close to home, the conditions and runs are pretty good, and the scenery is amazing. There are beautiful views of lakes, wilderness, and other peaks in the Cascade Mountains. I've also visited Mt. Bachelor near Bend a couple of times and had fun there as well.

Riding my board down a fast run feels almost like flying. It is a very freeing and confidence-building experience for me. I have a similar interest in skateboarding, and recently started riding a longboard. It's not quite as thrilling for me as snowboarding, but it's a very cool way to get around, and the feel of carving a longboard can be similar to connecting turns in snow on a gentle slope. (I've yet to dare going very fast on concrete. The street is a little less forgiving than snow!)

No comments: