Thursday, July 9, 2009

boxes of blank paper (2005)

boxes of blank paper


(he checks the skirts like)
most,boys do

i feel kinda sorry for him
he wears the required:shirt
it's black,polo
and carries a box to punch things into
as he works.on unloading

boxes of blank paper
unlike the coral white neck-lace
and skateshoes that say
life is for-fun
or at least beer and balls


(8/18/2005)

I wrote this one a few years ago while sitting at my desk at work, looking outside my window. I had a lovely view of the nearby city park through the alley access to the building where I was working at the time. Generally I wished I was down there doing something more fun and interesting and alive, instead of sitting in front of a computer contemplating how I was going to keep doing a good job as the odds seemed to get stacked more and more against me and my ability to stay interested in my projects waned. In reaction to the moribund company spirit and my own boredom and feeling of not wanting to be there, I was writing more poems just as a way to help keep myself sane.

I have a "wandering eye" for all sorts of beautiful things. I think this poem is a reflection on identity and a feeling that your life is divided up in ways that maybe you wish could be more unified.

No comments: