Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I love the daffodils...

I like that corny little camp song. And I like the springtime... I've started my allergy medication as of a couple of weeks ago. No major problems yet. The jasmine in our neighbors' yards smells really amazing, again. It's like an old woman's perfume, strong and sweet.

The crocuses in the front yard emerged a couple of weeks ago and are still doing well. I am a tad disappointed to see gaps, though – many bulbs did not come back this year, perhaps because of spraying or too wet of soil in those spots. It's nice to have flowers come back every year. These little guys have been pretty low maintenance since we got them a few years ago.

Just this past week or so the daffodils have started to open. So bright and cheery! :)


As usual for March the weather has been unstable, changeable, and generally moist. We had a bit of a storm here the other morning. It brought in some rain water through a leak in one of the downstairs windows. We'll have to get that re-caulked when it dries out a bit more.

Days like today when it is chilly but the sun is just peaking out, I feel like summer is almost here. But it is nice for it to be mild and a bit wet for a while: the flowers appreciate the rain. :)

2 comments:

Aaron said...

I'm jealous that things are already springing up there in the Williamette Valley. It's nothing but some new green grass around here in VA, and some small buds on the bare trees.

I remember a moment walking along the west side of the OSU quad in April many years ago; we were talking about something geeky, and we both noticed a couple looking at bulbs blooming in front of the hall where the history department & home ec dept lived; you said, and I'll never forget the context which makes the phrase more profound than it sounds, "Spring makes people horny."

Christian Kaltwasser said...

Yes. That sounds like something I would have said. Very profound, of course. Almost poetic. ;-) Thanks for remembering.